Saturday, August 14, 2010

Help! My Character's Are Taking Over!!!!!!

Have you ever been so into your manuscript that before you know it, you can think of nothing else? They begin to invade your dreams, (day and night), interrupt your plans for the day, (you sit at your lap top and look around and find that 4 hours have passed, just like that), and before you know it, your talking too them???? *gulp, looking over shoulder for the men carrying the white jacket....* Okay, well maybe your not answering them, but they're sure are talking to you!

I have, and let me tell you....it's kinda cool.

A few weeks ago, I was having an in-depth conversation with my cousin about men and relationships and before I knew it, I said, "And that's why Yasmine feels the way she does about relationships." She looked at me, a confused expression on her face and said, "Yasmine?" I replied, "Yep, she feels that way about guys, that's why she's not looking to tie herself down in a relationship." In a moment of silence I looked over at her as she held the phone in her hand, her fingers poised on the buttons. 'Oh crap, she's about to call the crazy bus.' My cousin is fully aware of the story line that Yasmine has in the book, but she couldn't believe that I had compared what we were talking about with the made up experiences of a fictional character. Neither could I.

A few minutes later, as the conversation continued, I did it again. "And see, Brian feels the same way. He's never let a woman into his world that he has no plans on having a real relationship with." *crickets chirping as I looked around...* And again she watched me, the thought of calling the crazy bus once again visible in her eyes. "I did it again didn't I?" I asked. "Yes you did." she said.

So what does all of this mean? The way I see it, it can mean one of two things, either I am actually going crazy and crossing over to the "other side" and becoming a part of my books, or my characters are being written in a way that causes their realities to successfully mimic our own. Personally, I hope it's the latter or else I will be calling the crazy bus myself!

Then again, if I am crossing over to the other side and I get stuck there, I need to write in a male character that's loaded, has a huge house, is extremely good looking and......that's it, I gotta go.... Where's my lap top?