Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Interview with Author Sharon C. Cooper

Joining me today is a good friend of mine, author Sharon C. Cooper. Sharon has recently published her second book, Blue Roses. Thanks, for taking time out of your busy schedule to answer a few questions!




 Sharon, what inspired you to write your first book?
Hmm, what inspired me to write my first book, Something New…I guess I would have to say a number of things. I enjoy reading romance and thought it would be cool to write my own. And I chose to write a sweet romance first because I wanted to offer a romance novel that was “sweet” but had a nice edge to it (as well as some suspense). Though I enjoy most all romance genres, at the time it wasn’t easy to find a sweet edgy romance…so I figured I’d write one.

As a wife, mother, and author, my writing schedule is always changing, looking for that perfect balance. What is your work schedule like when you’re writing?
Since I’m also an entrepreneur, juggling my work and writing schedule is wild some days. Though I make time for some form of writing (daily), I write wherever and whenever I can. I’m always jotting down notes either in my cell phone or on a notepad, and I’ll write while riding in a car or when I’m waiting in line (as far as appointments). Basically, my work schedule is flexible enough to where I can dictate when I write for the most part.

What would you say is your interesting writing quirk?
I don’t know if this is a quirk, but if I had to pick a writing quirk, I’d say it is that I write in a different spot every day.  I might write in my home office one day and then on the balcony the next. I’ve also noticed that I play a round of FreeCell prior to writing (not sure what that’s all about - but maybe it’s helping).

  As writers, we often find inspiration in people around us, things we see on T.V. or even personal experiences. Are events/experience in your own life reflected in the characters/stories you write? Can you share an example?
 One experience that I had, showed up in my book, Something New (it wasn’t as grand as Simone -the main characters’ -experience). - but when I rededicated my life back to God, I had decided to become a “born-again virgin.” Granted I didn’t announce it to my friends the way Simone did…at least I don’t remember announcing it, but I think it would’ve been fun to see what their reactions would’ve been had I done it like Simone.

 No matter how long we've been writing, we never stop learning or perfecting our craft. Do you have any suggestions to help new authors become a better writer? If so, what are they?
I think the best suggestion I can offer is to keep writing and perfecting your writing/story telling skills. It doesn’t matter how good you are, there is probably room for improvement in some area of your writing. I’d also suggest getting several dependable critique partners. Those who are not afraid to say - “I’m not really feelin’ that scene” or “I think you could say this better by…” I can’t imagine my writing life without my critique partners. They are truly a godsend.
Now that options are open to authors, which route did you choose? Self-pubbed, Indie pubbed, or Traditionally pubbed?
I’m proud to say that I’m an indie author! Woo Hoo! A big shout-out to all of my fellow indie authors!

 So far you have published a short story, and two novels. What is your next project?
I’m currently working on a short story, Secret Rendezvous, which is the prequel to my next novel, Rendezvous with Danger (which happens to be the second book in my Reunited Series). I’m also, playing around with some ideas for my next series - The Jenkins Family (coming 2013).

Thank you again, Sharon for stopping by! 

Be sure to check out Sharon's current works and connect with her on the following links: 

Website     Email     Facebook     Twitter     Blog     Goodreads

Look for her books here! 

Barnes and Noble     Amazon     All Romance ebooks     Kobo     Smashwords

Where most women would welcome love from a wealthy, good-looking man, Chicago-based investment manager, Dallas Marcel, is not one of them. She will never let a man control her life again. That includes handsome entrepreneur, Tyler Hollister. Dallas is on track to making partner and she’s not letting anything or anyone get in her way. But when her life is put in danger, and a Ponzi scheme ignites a SEC investigation of her firm, she realizes the one man she'd banned from her heart, might be the only one who can save her career and her life.
Tall, dark, and handsome, Tyler Hollister can have any woman he wants, but he only wants one - Dallas. When he starts talking marriage, she breaks things off between them, claiming she doesn’t want a romantic entanglement to hinder her plight to making partner. A chance meeting, six months later, brings them face to face and Tyler soon realizes the intense sexual attraction they once shared is stronger than ever. But he swore he was done with her. Except he finds out her life is in danger, and his protective instincts take over. Can he save her life without losing his heart … again?

******SORRY! THIS CONTEST HAS EXPIRED! *******

As a bonus, Sharon will be giving away a free eBook copy of Blue Roses! Here are the rules:

* Leave a comment along with your first name and initial to enter the drawing.
*To double your chances of winning, leave a comment, your name, AND 'like' her fan page. You'll not only be entered to win a copy of the book (two entries!), you'll also be eligible to win a $5.00 Amazon gift card!

The winner will be announced on her website Thursday morning.

Good luck and enjoy the excerpt!


Excerpt
He paced at the foot of her bed like a caged animal. She knew he’d be upset, but she had no idea he’d carry on like this. She didn’t know which was worse, his marching back and forth in front of her with his fists balled at his sides or listening to him rant and rave about how much she’d disappointed him. As if he were the only one hurting.
“I can’t stand to look at you right now. You’ve ruined everything,” he growled through gritted teeth as he approached the left side of the bed. “I have worked my butt off trying to set up a good life for us, but that has never been good enough for you has it? With your one track mind to make partner, you probably let this happen on purpose!”
Dallas reared back as if she’d been struck. His caustic words were like a scalpel scraping against her bones. How could someone who claimed to love her treat her like this? She’d already lost so much, yet all he could think about was himself. “You know that’s not true. How can you blame me for this?” she cried. “I wanted this more than you’ll ever know.”
“No, you didn’t!” He grabbed and shook her. “Stop lying. You tried to do this. It was your way of defying me wasn’t it? Answer me, dammit! Wasn’t it?” He shook her harder but she fought back.
“Stop! You’re hurting me!” she screamed. “Stop! Let me go!”
“Dallas. Dallas, wake up. You’re having a bad dream. Baby, wake up.”
Dallas continued to fight until she recognized Tyler’s voice calling out to her. “Dallas, wake up,” she heard him say again, and her eyes flew open. She lunged into his arms as deep sobs racked her insides like never before.
The dream seemed so real. The memories. The fear. The anger. Everything came flooding back. Over the years, working long hours had helped to suppress the hole in her heart. But seeing those blue roses brought all the pain and heartache back.
Hearing Tyler call her name, she finally looked at him. Despite the tears clouding her view, she could see the concern on his face.
She eventually pulled herself together, but it felt like she’d been run over by a semi-truck. Her eyes burned, her head throbbed and her body ached. If only she could’ve met this kind, gentle man who was now cradling her in his strong arms, first.
****
Tyler didn’t know what to think when he found Dallas thrashing against her pillows. He reached out to wake her only to have her fighting him with balled fists. And damn if she didn’t hit hard. He still could feel a twinge in his right shoulder blade.
He wiped the last of her tears and noticed some of the tension had left her body. “Are you okay?”
She blew out a weary breath. “Yeah. I’m sorry about all of this.”
“Hey, don’t apologize. I’m glad I was here. That must’ve been some dream. Do you want to talk about it?”
She shook her head. “No.”
“Do you remember any of it?”
“No.”
Tyler stared at her. “You don’t remember anything about it?”
“No. I don’t,” she said, her attention locked on the crumpled tissue in her hand.
He could tell by the lack of eye contact that she was lying, but why? “Dallas, did the dream have anything to do with the blue roses that came today?” He felt her stiffen in his arms. “Well, tell me this. Who else besides me is sending you flowers, because I sure as hell didn’t send any blue roses?”

***


MJ

Connect with me on the following sites: 

Facebook


Twitter


Google+


Linkedin