Friday, August 12, 2011

Finding A New Writing Routine

Wow, summers nearly over. It seems like it was just yesterday when I wrote about finding ways to edit while managing my kids over summer vacation. Now it's Friday and they've been back in school for a whole week. Where did the time go????

With school comes quiet mornings (after everyone leaves) and hectic evenings (when everyone returns). Somewhere in between I now have to balance housework, bill management, errands and writing. Seven and a half hours of uninterrupted time.....as long as I resist the urge to fall back in the bed as soon as the last kids leave that is!

Mmm...I love the smell of French Vanilla coffee in the morning! (steps away to brew a cup).  I must give a shout out to my Coffee Diva's on Twitter, @AbigailTinuviel, @TJProofs and @synithiaw. *sings* 'The best part of waking up....is Folgers in your cup!'

Now that I'm fully awake....


Into The Woods. Click here to learn more.
This week has seen the addition of one major change in my daily routine. My oldest son has been chosen to play in a orchestra made up of talented young kids, ages fifteen to seventeen, in a play entitled, Into The Woods. It was originally on Broadway and now is being performed here in Atlanta. It is a collaboration of the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra and the Alliance Theater. He auditioned over the summer and out of hundreds of kids, only sixteen were selected. That is such an honor! They had been searching all summer for these kids. Kris auditioned on the last day. It took us an hour to drive home. By the time we arrived I had an email saying he was selected. Speechless.

With this opportunity comes a lot of responsibility, hard work and commitment. Monday was the first day of school. Tuesday marked the first day of practices which are being held twice a week from six to nine P.M., after school, over twenty miles away from where we live. Talk about a long day! We are making sure he stays on top of his school work, homework, and not to mention he is also a part of the schools Orchestra, Chamber Orchestra, Jazz Band and Symphonic Band. Oh yeah, lets not forget about household chores, because hey, isn't that the way life is? Once you decide to take on more responsibility, you must learn how to be organized in order to make it all work. You gotta start learning one day!

Yep, that's me and my laptop as I get some editing done!
So what does that have to do with me and my writing?

I have to do the same thing, once again, revamp my writing schedule to fit around all of my children and household needs. Everyone is involved in something. Orchestra, Art and one who wants to try out for basketball. All of which will require time after school. My husbands career is gaining momentum as well. He was recently signed as the in house producer for MOB LIFE Music. His dreams are becoming reality as well. Check out his tracks, they're nothing like what you hear on the radio!

I've been blessed with a creative family. Thus my need to get my book out of my hands and out for the world to see. My November deadline is quickly approaching!


Jada, eating dinner at the Alliance Theater.

You'd think I should be able to manage the time the kids spend in school with no problem right? *rolls on the floor laughing* I wish it were that easy! But it's still not hard, just a matter of setting time restrictions. The biggest change in my schedule is when to cook dinner twice a week. On the days I need to take my son downtown, I will be cooking dinner in the morning, wrapping it up to be refrigerated and reheated later on. I'm packing enough to take with me so when I pick Kris and his sister, the artist, up from school, (she attends the same Fine Arts Magnet High School he does for art), can eat a healthy meal before getting started. The Alliance Theater has two nice areas for parents to hang out in. A refrigerator, microwave and electrical outlet for my laptop are all I need to survive!

So far, I have enjoyed the creative atmosphere of being in a place where professional actors, dancers, singers and musician go to perfect their craft. The energy is amazing! Sitting in the chill area, I can hear the kids playing and the singers practicing. It gives me goosebumps! Everyone is friendly when they walk through and speak. Once they find out what we're here for they are very impressed and supportive.

The biggest hurdle to climb will be forcing myself to shut up and focus on my editing. The parents are great too. Who knew it would be so easy to strike up a conversation with someone you don't know and find three hours have gone by and you've done nothing productive??? It happened last night. We arrived early, I had my earphones on, my screen up and was working when parents arrived. I paused to speak and before we knew it, it was time to go. One father didn't do anything like he planed either..lol. Well, at least I got eight out of fourteen pages done.

Well, time to get back at it! Till next time, have a wonderful weekend and Write On!

M.J. Kane