Sunday, August 22, 2010

A Year To Remember

This year has flown by so fast. I know it's still 2010, but I'm talking about a personal anniversary of mine. Tomorrow, August 23, 2010 will be the anniversary of the day I hit the save button on my lap top for the first time and saved the first part of chapter one of The Healing Heart. Wow...

I didn't know it then, but I was starting a personal journey that would lead me to learning more about myself and discovering that hey, I can start a project and finish it too! LOL. When I hit the save button, I had no idea where writing the first sentence of that story would take me. It took me nearly four months before I went from the first sentence of The Healing Heart and typed the words, 'The End.' I lie to you not, I actually cried when I saved the complete first draft of my story, my baby, my heart. Being able to write this story has meant so much to me on such a personal level that I may never fully be able to explain why, but I know in my heart what it represents and that's what means the most to me. I don't care if it never gets published or makes any money, (don't get me wrong, I would love for that to happen!). What will mean the most to me is the fact that I was able to accomplish something I never thought I would be able to do. And along the way I've meet some wonderful people.

First, I joined the Flint River Writer's group and met a wonderful playwright by the name of Sandra Cropsey who has written the funniest book, Who's There?, and adapted it as a play which was hilarious! The members of this small group are a wonderful bunch of people who have been full of suggestions and positive and honest feedback that encouraged me to take what I at first thought of as a way to keep my sanity when I was really bored and approach it as a professional author. I attended the Indian Springs Writer's Conference in Indian Springs, Georgia and meet a wonderful group of local and and national writers and have seen and read about their personal accomplishments. Before I knew what was happening, I stepped in as directer of the FRWG. Wow, I never would have seen that coming. It's been a challenge, but I enjoy the people that I've met.

Recently, I've meet another local writer, Chicki Brown, who is amazing. I love her personality and her writing style. She has taken me under her wing and has taught me so many things in such a short period of time that I can't say thank you enough. Her patience and desire to help have elevated my writing to a whole new level. And I am so proud of the fact that she is making headway with her book, Have You Seen Her?, that is now selling on Amazon Kindle. I am looking forward to following in her footsteps.

I've also had the pleasure of meeting a wide range of writers through The Critter Yard and of course all of my Facebook writers and friends who in one way or another encourage me and I hope I encourage them to continue to follow our dreams as writers. To all of you wonderfully talented women (and a few men!), I want to say thank you from the bottom of my heart for sharing all of your wisdom and talent with me, a housewife with dreams of doing something that may one day affect someone else in a positive way.

And last, but definetly not least in any way, I want to thank my husband for encouraging me to pick up a pen (or to use his lap top which I have managed to commender! LOL), and try something new. My kids for being a source of inspiration from time to time even they don't even know it. And my cousin, for being a wonderful sound board to bounce of ideas for plot lines that make sense and letting me know, no holds bared, if it doesn't. I love you guys!

Now with all that said and I wipe tears from my eyes, I will go start the grill, cook dinner, and continue to write!


Read the first three chapters of my first book, The Healing Heart on my site: www.wix.com/mjkane/MJKaneBooks

For more information about Have You Seen Her?, by author Chicki Brown, visit her website: www.chicki663.webs.com or http://su.pr/26hZz2 to purchase the book.